10 June 2011

197

That's the number of reasons I sent Nuun in hopes of getting to participate in the Hood To Coast relay with them.*  

A couple of things in case you didn't know:
Nuun is the purveyor of "electrolyte enhanced drink tabs."  Here's why it's super: it has electrolytes; it's portable; it's sugar free; and it comes in a whole whack of flavours.  


Hood To Coast is a 197-mile relay in Oregon from Mount Hood to Seaside.  It's the largest running relay in the world.  There are some pretty fast runners who race the event.  Most teams, though, go to have fun.  It's basically 31-1/2 hours of finding out how much you like your (new and old) friends.


This year Nuun is a bronze sponsor for the event.  While I'm sure it would have been more than easy for them to fill a team with their own employees the fact that they are putting up one of their entries as a prize is awesome!

When I heard that they were inviting female bloggers - thanks AMR- to get creative and enter their contest I knew that I wanted in.  I just didn't know how I wanted to go about it.  I'm not terribly artsy-craftsy, nor am I competent in front of a camera.  Being that I'm a history major I found something written to do.  I'm crap at essays (or anything for that matter) extolling my virtues.  But a list was a little less intimidating.  Until I decided that I should give them reasons why I should be on the van.  And maybe one reason for every mile of the relay.  It went well for a while then became daunting.  I begged Colin to come up with reasons.  He gave me 2.  When I couldn't sleep I'd lie there and think of things to add.  I finally finished a week after I started.  Some of them are great, some good and some mediocre.  Some are personal and some are funny.  Thankfully I never had to resort to "This is reason 186" as a reason.  

I figured that it wasn't enough to just send in the list.  Yes it's awesome, but there was no face to the name.  So I did what I am terrified of doing.  I made a video introducing myself.  Pure cheese.  I refuse to put it up on here due to embarrassment - and the fact that there's personal information in it.  I might put up a series of the bloopers though.  Lot's of "darn it!s", "craps" and "pbbtthss".

I know this is true of all entrants, but I really want this.  It's not just because I think that it would be a fun event.  There's no denying that the teenager in me wants to party all night while my adult self knows that I should be sleeping.  The runner in me wants to be challenged.  Marathons?  "Easy" (thinks the 5-hour marathoner).  Approximately 3 10Ks in a day and a half with people I've never met?  Challenge.  I know that I can physically do it.  Yes, I'm not insanely fast, but I can keep up my speed for a 10K.  

It's the mental aspect of this relay that I know I need.  I'm having a hard time explaining this in words even though it makes sense in my head and my heart.  I need to figure out who I am.  Right now whenever I think about me all I think is "I'm just a stay at home mum."  Yet I know that I'm so much more than that.  But I don't know what.  I'm stuck in a rut.  Sometimes I feel like there isn't much of me left even though my 20-something self before I had kids didn't really know me either.  See, not making much sense, right?

All I want is a chance to figure it all out and I see this as the way to do it.  When else am I going to get to escape my life (and it's a great life, don't get me wrong) for 4 days?  

Here's where I need you:

There is no "most votes gets it" winner.  The van teammates are picked at the sole discretion of Nuun.  I think that my entry holds its own and can probably get me in.  It meets all their criteria, but I'd love for you to show your support.

How?  And don't feel pressured to do so.  Honestly only do it if you think I deserve it.
  • Comment here.  You don't have to tell them I'm awesome (though I won't complain if you do!).  If you want to explain why you're "voting" for me, feel free.
  • Let them know on Facebook.  All you have to tell them is that you think Alanna at running42km.blogspot.com should be on their HTC team.
  • Let them know on Twitter.  I don't tweet, but if you do you can contact them @ministryofnuun.  Same as above, just say "Alanna at running42km.blogspot.com should be on your HTC team."
Thanks for your help!  It means a lot!



* When I typed this all I could think of was Tyra Banks telling the poor "models" that the might have to go home.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck getting on the team! I think you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely deserve it! Hope you get it!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You deserve it...GOOD LUCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanna see the video!!!! *pounding floor, tantrum, flailing* Please!!!!!

    Wishing you the best of luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! Yeah, that video is for Nuun's eyes only. It's only a "hi I'm Alanna, here's where I'm from" video. You can tell that I'm reading my lines since I look left a couple of times (to see behind the camera). That'd be the cheese factor. It was 15 solid minutes of take after take for a 45 second video - I could not do that as a job! I was nervous enough as it was and only Colin and Nuun are ever going to see it...

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com