05 July 2010

Where To Run, Where To Run...?

We're off to Tofino, British Columbia this weekend for vacation! Yay! I've been doing this with my family for the last 18 years - Colin joined in once we got married and now M comes too. It's a week of doing nothing but eat, read, walk on the beach, sleep and, now, run.

I have a dilemma. We need to do 2 long runs while we are there and I can't decide where we should run them.

Do we run on the beach?

Typical foggy weather

I haven't run on hard-packed sand before, but Long Beach in Pacific Rim National Park is the perfect length for our second run (19km + 2.1 to make up the distance for the virtual run I'm participating in).
Or do we run on the pedestrian path/road?


That's not me above - it's actually a shot from the Edge to Edge Marathon (next year's dream race if I want to do it again after October) - but I might be running like her this weekend. If we decide to run on the pavement for 16km we'll run out of bike path so road it will be.
I have a feeling we'll do one of each, but what do you think?

5 comments:

  1. Running on the beach is great, but its usually suggested to start slow/low simply because you use different muscles and its easy to overextend.

    have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tricia! It'll be a long, slow run anyways (10+1s) since it's a training run. I'm definitely not in to win the virtual race :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two words: SORE CALVES!!

    If anything, I would make it shorter or I have a feeling you're going to be one sore girl. Running on the beach always sounds so idyllic, but it's REALLY hard....even when it's somewhat packed. Just my opinion. I would do a "fun run" on the beach and the serious one on the path. Let me know what you end up doing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think mixing it up is great, but Tricia is right about beach running. Try to take it easy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! Stick to the roads for the long runs, and go for the beach for short. i just got back from a beach vacay, and whew, my calves are TIRED!

    And, don't forget, one of the winners of the race will be the "person who overcame the biggest running handicap to complete their race" so, perhaps your entry will be the winner of that category, since you're not aiming for speed!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com