10 January 2012

Tempo Tuesday

Today marks the first (real) week of training for my next marathon.  I went to clinic last week, but, seeing as I'd run a 50km two days before - have I mentioned that? - I decided a 6km tempo would be a bad idea.

I have a 6km tempo (plus warm-up/cool-down) on the schedule for tonight.  I haven't done any sort of speed work since May 2011 and it's definitely showing.  I may or may not explode my lungs this evening.  Here's hoping the positive attitude I have right now sticks around...

On another note, running an ultra can completely kill your shoes.  Mine didn't have close to the usual end-of-life mileage, but they are done.  I tried to run in them on Sunday and made it a measly 5 out of 10km.  My knees told me that it was time to pack it in.  Thankfully I have a loving husband who picked me up a pair of my standbys while I was at work. 

Asics GT-2160
This is the 3rd pair I've had of this exact same shoe.  

And I'm thinking of mixing it up a little, which terrifies me.

Let me explain.  I have been wearing some version of the Asics 2100 series for years now.  I have had very few problems (fingers crossed/knock on wood).  They have served me very well. However, I've started to consciously make the effort to not heel strike quite as much so I think that they aren't the best full-time shoe for me anymore.  I'm still willing to keep them around for long runs - as a friend at the running store said, I'm more likely to need the cushioning at the end of long runs when I'm tired and not so focused on form.  

I'd like to get a second pair of shoes that are more suited to a midfoot strike while still providing some sort of pronation control.  I would use these shoes for my shorter runs.  I put the question out there on Twitter and got a couple of answers back so far.  I'm not 100% brand loyal - I'll get the one I can find at work or for cheapest. 

Here are my options so far:

As suggested by Asics - Neo33: 


As suggested by Melody (a Brooks rep and HTC teammate) - PureCadence: 


I still want to see what the comparable Saucony and Nike shoes are as well.  

Any thoughts?  If you run in either of these shoes how do you like them?

3 comments:

  1. I haven't tried them yet, but I just ordered some Brooks Green Silence. I don't think they have much in the way of pronation control (I REALLY want a pair of PureCadence), but they are ultra light and definitely promote mid-foot strike. I plan on using them for very short runs and speedwork. The main reason I bought them was because they were $59.88 on runningwarehouse.com (plus I had a 15% off coupon)

    Good luck on marathon training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying to be more conscious of my foot strike too. I overpronate, so, I don't know. Ha!
    I like my Brooks Adrenaline. But I am tempted to try one of their minimalist shoe too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I run my long runs in my regular running shoes and the shorter weekday runs in either my Brooks Pure or my Vibrams. With both shoes I needed to start slow. Surprisingly I'm never sore with my vibrams but I am sore with my BrooksPure (even though this is more shoe). I can feel my feet are getting stronger. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com